Thursday, May 12, 2005

Homelessness Has Its Benefits

In the ongoing house saga... the folks never responded to the counter offer. They had offered $500 ernest money and a 7/1 close. We had countered with $1000 earnest money and 6/15 close. When Jeff called their realtor to see what was going on, she said they couldn't come up with $1K. Good lord! I'm a paycheck-to-paycheck chick myself, but when shopping for a house.... Hmmmm.... Wouldn't one plan ahead and have a LITTLE SOMETHING set aside? They also didn't think they could sell their mobile home by 6/15. Mobile homes... okay, let's not even go there.

Last Sunday Jeff was kidding me about "maybe you should bury a St. Joseph statue". Huh? He said one of his neighbors had his house listed for 5 months, and it didn't sell. His grandma told him to bury a St. Joseph statue upside down in the back yard and facing the house. He did, and the house had an offer (which ultimately closed) in 5 days. Hey, I'm not above it. I said something about it to Carrie when she called me on Mother's Day, and she had actually heard of it. Wednesday I started surfing the 'Net, and OMG! Look at this! http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=St.+joseph+statue&btnG=Google+Search

It's a freakin' INDUSTRY! I went to Church Supply (I prefer to call it Church Depot) Wednesday and got my very own, and by that evening he was buried by the For Sale Sign. And believe you me, I've been sayin' the prayer to St. Joe daily if not hourly. Stay tuned....

St. Joe didn't bring me an overnight accepted offer, but he did bring my "new maybe-after-he-gets-divorced boyfriend" this morning. The husband part of the divorcing duo who, after changing their collective mind once and are now back on track to sell me their house, stopped by. It was like a replay of Tuesday morning when the wife part of the DD came by... I was getting ready for work and attired in my leopard-print bathrobe. The doorbell rang. And there on my doorstep was the man whose soon-to-be-ex-wife had indicated only two days before what a great catch he could be. I had him come in, and he very kindly apologized for putting me through so much on Monday when they thought they didn't want to sell... I told him not to worry about it—it WAS distressing and a little disappointing. But with all the other weird stuff that had happened with my house, when Jeff called me about the circumstances of their not wanting to sell, it was almost like some repeating punchline. As I described this, we had a nice laugh, and he said he was glad it hadn't been a completely horrible time for me.

I should start a pool on who will stop by next—their children? Their divorce attorney? Can this get any weirder?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home