Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Over-achieving Child on Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to me. My child is better than your child. No? So... did you get a loving phone call, a $25 gift certificate to Amazon.com, and a check for $602.77 this morning?

Okay, so the check wasn't exactly intended as a Mother's Day gift. Timing is everything. It was in yesterday's mail, which I didn't bring in until this morning; and The Kid was directly responsible for it.

Last month Carrie was listening to a radio show in which they were talking about the millions of dollars in unclaimed money around the country in bank accounts, stocks and mutual funds, uncashed checks and wages, etc. They suggested checking the website http://www.missingmoney.com, so Carrie started plugging in the names of her nearest and dearest. Lo and behold, my name came up with money vaguely described as "$100+" in Tennessee where I had been a stockbroker in the 80's.

After Carrie let me know about this, I followed the links, downloaded and completed the paperwork, made copies of my driver's license and social security card, had my signature notarized, and sent it all in. This morning as I opened yesterday's mail, I had a nice little Mother's Day surprise of $602.77 from the State of Tennessee. And my darling daughter.

You know how sometimes when people get a bad deal they'll say, "It's not the money. It's the principle of the thing"—but you know they're not too happy about the money part either? This is the other side of that coin. You would have had a hard time convincing me that Carrie wasn't the greatest kid on the planet before today—but a $600 Mother's Day bonus sure hasn't hurt her Favorite Daughter status.

1 Comments:

Blogger mcbeth said...

Way to go, Carrie! Woohoo!! What a delight, finding cash that belonged to you anyway. That's awesome!

I did the same thing a few months ago (plugging in names of family and friends, all the places I've lived) and found two different amounts, one <$100 and one >$100, in Iowa under my dad's name. I emailed both my parents to let them know about it and miracle of miracles they worked together to reclaim their lost money.

Dad is good at the paperwork-ey stuff, filling out forms, that kinda thing (which Mom isn't so much great with) and Mom saves EVERYthing so she was able to find old letters from 30 years ago to prove they lived there (the memory collection files Dad isn't so keen on). I was thrilled that they could work together to get it done and they agreed to split it ... reminded me a lot of a Sesame Street project, possibly subtitled 'And THAT'S Cooperation!'.

Have you had any good daydreams about what you'll do with your found money?

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home